The City of Castlegar has completed the delivery of new smaller garbage carts, organics kitchen catcher bins, and Curbside Collection Program information to homes.
The introduction of weekly curbside organics collection means less garbage and less smell. The new waste management system will see organics collected weekly while recycling and garbage will continue to be collected every other week. More organics + more recycling = less garbage! On average, organic waste makes up 40% of household garbage. Another 37% can be recycled.
“Overall, the deliveries went well, and residents received their cart packages ahead of the last garbage pick-up using the current system this week,” says Solid Waste & Organics Ambassador, Emilie teBulte. “There may be homes that were missed or that have unique circumstances and we’re encouraging those people to contact us directly at 250.365.5979.”
The week of August 7 was the last garbage pick-up using the current system. Residents can now use the green-lidded cart to collect organics such as food scraps, food-soiled paper, and yard and garden waste. At the same time, they can begin using the new grey-lidded cart for garbage.
Residents can expect the following during the transition period to the new system:
Week of August 14
- Recycling will be collected using the current schedule.
- Continue using your green-lidded organics cart to collect food scraps, food-soiled paper, and yard and garden waste for pick-up during the week of August 21.
- During the program transition, your organics cart will not be picked up for 2 weeks.
Week of August 21
- This is the first time you’ll receive weekly organics collection and bi-weekly garbage collection together!
- Place your new, grey-lidded garbage cart and your green-lidded organics cart at the curb on your usual pick-up day, during the collection window.
- Carts that are not sorted and contain items that don’t belong will not be collected and infraction tags may be issued.
- Use your new 2023-2024 Collection Calendar + Waste Guide for information on what goes where.
We know residents may have questions and we’ve got the answers! Contact our Solid Waste + Organics Ambassador at 250 365 5979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download an app with the new collection schedule and information on what can and can’t go into your curbside collection containers at castlegar.ca/curbside.