Council Highlights - September 2022
Council received a presentation from:
- Deb McIntosh regarding a free, Thanksgiving dinner for the community on October 8, 2022 from 3 – 5 p.m. at Millennium Park & Ponds; and
- Julie Leffelaar & Bruce Gerrand, on behalf of Castlegar Refugee Project regarding the sponsorship of a UN Refugee Family.
Council approved the following:
- Contributing $2,000 to the Castlegar Community Harvest Food Bank to work with other community groups to host a free, Thanksgiving event for the community;
- Changing the Kinnaird Overpass lights to purple for the month of September, in support of Literacy Month;
- Changing the Kinnaird Overpass lights to green on October 6, in support of World Cerebral Palsy Day;
- Sending a letter to Richard Cannings, MP regarding the RCMP retroactive costs; and
- Sending a letter to the Ministry of Forests in support of the Translocating Wild Turkeys Initiative.
Council considered grant funding of $275 to the Castlegar & District Chamber of Commerce from their 24th Annual Business Awards and including this grant request as an annual budget line item moving forward. This will be considered for final adoption at the October 3, 2022 Regular Meeting.
Council received a report from the Director of Financing seeking approval to enter into the following agreements:
- Fairview and Area Fire Protection and Assistance Response Agreement
- RDCK Fibre Optic Agreement
- Mountain Valley Media Advertising Agreement
- Rotary Club of Castlegar #232 Agreement
These will be considered for final adoption at the October 3, 2022 Regular Meeting.
Release of In-camera Meeting Information
Council released certain resolutions, from the In-camera Meetings in the first half of 2022 to the public.
Notice of Motion
Council received a Notice of Motion from Councillor Heaton-Sherstobitoff regarding a beach accessibility path surface that could be used to improve access to Millennium Ponds. Council asked for this to be included in the upcoming 2023 Budget discussions.
2023 Budget Calendar
Council adopted the 2023 Budget Calendar which outlines the City’s budgeting process and key public meeting dates, including:
December 1, 2022
Special Council Meeting with Presentations from community groups:
December 8, 2022
Draft Financial Plan released to the public.
December 9 - 30, 2022
The community is invited to review and share their feedback
December 14 - 15, 2022
Special Council Meetings for budget deliberations
Financial Plan Bylaw consideration
Cost Sharing Agreement – Twin Rivers Estates Phase 2B
Council received a report from the Manager of Planning, Development & Sustainability seeking support for cost-sharing with the owner of land located at 3805 Columbia Avenue for Phase 2B of Twin River Estates for off-site works which include upgrades to the CP Rail Crossing at 5th Avenue and the application of latecomer charges. This will be considered for final adoption at the October 3, 2022 Regular Meeting.
South Sewage Treatment Plant & North Lagoons Update
During the September 6, 2022 Committee of the Whole Meeting, Council received an update on the South Sewage Treatment plant and North Lagoons from the Director of Municipal Services. This presentation can be viewed by watching the video recording from the meeting at castlegar.ca.
- Council adopted the 2022-2026 Five-Year Financial Plan Amendment Bylaw No. 1391.
- Council gave First, Second, and Third Reading to 2023 Permissive Tax Exemption Bylaw No. 1393. Permissive tax exemptions are a way for the City to support organizations within the community that enhance the quality of life for the citizens of Castlegar. Tax exemptions are at Council’s discretion and can be granted to an eligible property, on a partial or full basis, for a period that Council deems appropriate.
Union of British Columbia Municipalities Conference
Councillors Rye, McFaddin, and Bogle shared reports from their participation in the Union of British Columbia Municipalities Conference held September 12 – 16, 2022.