The City of Castlegar’s Emergency Program ensures residents have the maximum potential for survival and recovery in the event of a disaster.
Castlegar’s Emergency Program includes facilitating all aspects of emergency preparedness, including response, recovery, and mitigation – in this order.
The Emergency Program includes several groups working in a cooperative atmosphere, planning mitigation and preparation for, response to, and recovery from a major disaster or emergency, which extends beyond the normally used resources of the community.
The Castlegar Emergency Management Program consists of an Emergency Program Coordinator, City staff, and representatives of various agencies as required, including:
- Emergency Management BC
- Emergency responders such as fire departments and BC Ambulance
- Regional District of Central Kootenay and/or Regional District of Kootenay Boundary
- Emergency Social Services and other groups such as food services, personal services, animal coordination, emergency finance and emergency housing
- Provincial and federal ministries and agencies
- Castlegar Society for Search and Rescue
- School District 20
- Canadian Red Cross
- Utility groups, both public and private
Build a Grab-and-Go kit. In the event of a natural disaster, you may need to leave home quickly. Take time now to build a grab-and-go kit with each member of your household in mind.
Download Castlegar’s Evacuation Preparedness guide (PDF) for a list of what to include.
Sign Up for Alerts
The City of Castlegar’s top priority is to quickly inform our residents and visitors of all emergencies and incidents that could impact them. Sign up to receive immediate text, phone or email notifications of any emergency via RDCK’s Voyent Alert service at https://voyent-alert.com/ca/community/.
Working together, we can take proactive steps to build a safer and more resilient community.