All Castlegar homeowners should be receiving their property tax notices soon.
All property taxes are due on July 4, 2023 and residents are encouraged to pay on time to avoid a 10 per cent penalty which is automatically applied to unpaid taxes after the deadline.
The City offers the following property tax payment options:
- in person or online through your financial institution
- deposit a cheque in the drop box at City Hall
- mail a cheque to City Hall
- cash, cheque, or debit at City Hall
- online via credit card at castlegar.ca/online (please note there is a user fee for credit card transactions charged by OptionPay)
The City encourages homeowners to apply for their Home Owner Grant, a provincial subsidy that reduces the amount of property tax paid for principal residences, on time to ensure that the reduction is reflected on their account.
In 2021, the Province of BC centralized the administration of the Home Owner Grant and all homeowners must apply directly to the Province. Although the City cannot accept applications, we have included information on the 2023 Property Tax notices. For more information about the process and how to apply, call 1-888-355-2700 or visit gov.bc.ca/homeownergrant.